Every day is a fight when you are a parent. Life is full of responsibilities and duties and money suck machine. It is very common to get tired and lash out on your child without any reason. This may, later, hurdle your relationship with your child. It is very important to know how to build healthy relationships with your child. Mutual respect and understanding is the key to a successful family.
Healthy parent-child relationships are nothing but laying down the roots right. Most parents believe that babies don’t have a matured understanding. This is a myth. Baby’s brain development is at its peak from birth till two years, producing more than a million neural connections each second. Therefore it is very important to offer them the right environment and early learning communications. One on one conversations lay vital role in their behavioural development. Communication along with mutual respect and understanding is the root for laying the right foundation for a healthy relationship with your child.
Things you can practice to build healthy relationship with your toddler –
1. Talk to them like adults – the key to raise an independent and easy baby is Explaining them everything. Reason out to them like how you converse with an adult. Even if that means having the silliest of the conversation. Answer all their questions with logic and reasoning.
2. Don’t be over pampering – sometimes the baby takes advantage of our love and care. So if your baby falls, wait for him/her to stand on her own. If your baby demands unreasonable things. First reason out with him/her and if it still persists, tries to divert his/her mind to new things and if nothing works. Let your baby cry. Be ignorant to their crying and keep doing your work. Baby ll soon calm him/her self and divert his mind.
3. Don’t give up on crying – this seems very difficult especially for sleep-deprived humans for years. Parents hardly have any patience and give up on a crying baby. Well just because they are very exhausted and it seems only fair for some peaceful minutes. Don’t give up on an adamant crying baby. Even if it means public embarrassment. Be calm and not give up on your crying baby. Use point one and two.
4. Don’t use the word “NO” too often – this is more to do with our reflux but try to say something without using the word NO. Example – “sorry baby this tea is hot you ll get hurt. Why don’t you drink your water? Instead of saying NO you can’t have it “. Sometimes it’s ok to say NO because it’s the urge of the moment but try to reinforce positive words than NO in your sentences.
5. Show immense patience what so ever – baby has the tendency to test patience, they definitely get pleasure out of your frustrating expressions. Be calm and don’t shout. Whatever the matter is, be polite and have one on one conversation. High pitch, irritable face soon becomes a fun game for them.
6. Talk to them in the eye – they don’t have strong concentration so simply, Hold your baby and have an intense eye to eye contact and politely talk to him/her. This ll collect all her/his concentration on your words and they ll hear it and understand it and hopefully ll obey them. This definitely works, also you can whisper in their ear to gain their attention and concentration.
7. Have loads of alone time with them – lock yourself with your toddler and have fun. This ‘ll help them connect with you and vent out their extra energy. Try to involve them in early learning activities. This one on one time is a great way of building communication and chemistry between parent and baby.
8. Don’t bribe your child – this is the shortest way to failure. It might not last for long as you ‘ll go bankrupt soon. Don’t give them anything in return for being good other than loads of hugs and kisses and love. Make them respect their action and teach them why and how to do things right. Most importantly give them reasons why they should do what are they are doing. Example – please thrown this in dustbin because it’s finished or because it’s dirty
9. Encourage them to imitate you – ask them to follow you around the house while cleaning and ask them to assist you. Involving them in daily chore helps them build self-confidence and understand things like an adult. Ask them to put dishes in the drawers or carry their own clothes to washing area etc
10. Affirmative sleep talk to them – once they have slept or while making them sleep. Simply whisper positive words to them. For instance, if your baby is a fussy eater, then whisper – I love you and you are such a good baby. You love to eat and finish all your meals. Practice is for at least a month.
Being polite and patient is the main key to building a healthy relationship with your baby. Simply be sure when you are having a conversation with your baby, he/ she is listening. Eye to eye contact works every time with a polite tone and loads of love. Letting your baby explore is the best gift you can ever give to your baby. So just let them enjoy childhood and be patient.
You may also like – http://www.lovethatyoucanbuy.com/early-learning-pattern-detection-techniques/